Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Upstate Pride

Shavonna Hinton
Being from upstate New York but attending a school that basically feels like you’re in the middle of Long Island has become somewhat of a badge of honor at Binghamton.  I’ve been told that I have a southern accent.  I’m constantly being mocked for the way I pronounce things and the funny upstate quirks that I’ve developed.  But what is most annoying and gratifying at the same time is when people ask me, “What is there to do “up there”? It must be so boring.
Well contrary to popular belief I can say with 100% assurance, there are things to do in upstate New York.  No, I don’t live in the sticks or the boonies or in a cornfield out in the middle of nowhere.  In fact, my neighborhood looks just like any other typical suburb in America.  I spend my summer days at Seabreeze Amusement Park (home to one of the oldest roller coasters in the world), going to the National Museum of Play, which is also home to the National Toy Hall of Fame, and the  International Center for the History of Electronic Games.  Sure these places might not be as cool as the Statue of Liberty or Times Square, but they make upstate New York not so “boring”.
Even though New York City might be one of the most diverse and metropolitan areas in the world it’s not like upstate New York is just Patriotville, USA.  I live just a few hours from Canada which is pretty awesome in its own merit considering I can go to Toronto or Quebec for a weekend road trip whenever I please.
I never realized how much upstate pride I had until coming to Binghamton.  I guess it’s because living where I do, I never appreciated all the cool places and perks that can be found up north.  I can get to virtually any place within a 20 mile radius of my home in less than 30 minutes—no three hour traffic jams for me!  No subway rides just to commute to school, I just hop on the trusty old school bus.
All in all upstate New York is just as cool, fun and awesome as living in the city or out on Long Island is. I guess it’s just all about perspective.
Until next time…keep it classy

No comments:

Post a Comment