Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hindsight

Mike Madarasz

It’s hard to believe I’ve been in school for five years already. Nonetheless, in less than two months I’ll be graduating for good. Looking back on my college career as a whole, I can point to several things that I am glad I took part in and several that I wish I had.

-One thing I wish I had done was study abroad. During my first few years of school, I had never had any desire to go overseas. Plus, as a student athlete it was difficult to miss an entire semester to begin with. Knowing what I do now, I wish I had had the chance to spend a semester in Europe. I’ve yet to hear of one negative experience of a semester abroad.

Binghamton International Programs: http://www2.binghamton.edu/oip/

-One experience I am grateful for is my experience as an intern. I can’t say enough about how important this was. Obviously, it’s great experience in a professional environment and a chance to build valuable relationships. Aside from that, it confirmed the fact that I wanted to continue to pursue a career in that particular field. I would definitely encourage anyone else to do the same.

-I’m also grateful for having the opportunity to play a varsity sport during my four years as an undergraduate. There’s a lot to be said for the experience aside from the fact that it gave me the chance to continue to play a sport that I love. Being a student athlete forces you to be extremely conscientious and motivated, among other things. In addition, it can only help when searching for a job.

7 comments:

  1. I spent a semester in Europe during my Junior year. It was a great experience. If you ever get an opportunity to travel I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you study in Europe, I've always wanted to study abroad and was look for a good program to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the Netherlands at a small school called University College Utrecht. It was great. Where do you want to study abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sound really interesting I have heard such nice things about Holland. It is a beautiful county.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed it is.

    Mike, if you could study abroad anywhere where would you go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a great question "Tuna." I think Studying abroad is a great opportunity which everyone should take advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks John.

    I also want to say that I never got to play a varsity sport and it is something that I wish I had been able to do.

    Mike, what varsity sport did you play, Cheerleading?

    ReplyDelete