Friday, March 2, 2012

Business Etiquette


John Minami

Most of us SOM students know what this is.  And just in case there are some who don't know what it is, every single one of us is put through a grueling semester of CQS 111.  Judging by the lack of interest and enthusiasm for the class, a lot of SOM students probably already have a general sense of how people should be treated, not only personally, but professionally.  A lot of my friends, myself included, found the class really repetitive and it felt more like a nagging mother, than a "real" college class.  It wasn't until Thursday afternoon that I found out the importance of teaching and solidifying the rules of business etiquette.

For the past couple of days, my mother's company has been looking for part-time workers.  I've been asking a lot of friends if they were interested, and I found a few who were.  Among those few was more of a "friend of a friend" than a "friend".  But anyways, my friend asked me as a favor to get him a job, so I told myself "why not?".

The person answered the question of "why not?" when he didn't show up to a meeting with my mother and then proceeded to make her wait an hour until finally he told my FRIEND to tell ME to tell my mother that he wasn't interested in the job.  If I had heard about this happening to someone else, I would have shaken my head at the un-professionalism and disrespect but because this was a personal matter, I felt utter outrage.  Not to mention, the embarrassment I felt for referring him to my own mother.

Business etiquette is really important.  In the future, I will never share any job opportunities with that person ever again.  I also honestly doubt that he will ever find a job with the low level of respect he seems to hold for future employers.  I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... CQS 111 might actually be a useful class.  Even if it's to only educate the few barbarians who can't bother to at least make a phone call to waiting employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment