Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ernst and Young

John Minami

This past week, I attended TWO events held by Ernst and Young (EY). Now, the purpose of these events weren't to offer jobs or internships (unfortunately), but rather to just show Binghamton students what EY is really about. And you know what? I really liked what EY was about.

The first event was EY Invasion Day. It was held in the Old Union Hall with about maybe 70 to 80 students. We sat at different tables and each table had a couple of employees. This was a great opportunity to talk with them on a personal level and really get to know everyday EY employees. Those guys were great. I was able to talk with them as if they were my friends. The conversation came really easily. I had expected them to be intimidating and overwhelming, but I found out they seemed more like college students... with jobs.

The rest of EY invasion day consisted of a panel of executvies who we could question about anything and a "murder mystery". The "murder mystery" was a bit embarassing at times, but it was actually pretty fun. It gave us a way to connect with the employees at our tables. Overall the experience helped me to see what Ernst and Young is and what they stand for as a company.

My second experience with EY was the "Ernst and Young Launch", which is a program run by EY where employees just give Freshmen and Sophomores tips and advice about their futures, especially if those futures lead to EY. It was a smaller group than in EY invasion day but in some ways it was better. We ended up having more of a large group discussion sort of experience rather than a Q and A.

I had never given EY much thought before these two experiences but now I'm learning towards them as possible future employers. They showed me exactly how much they care about their current employees and possible future employees, and I really like that about them. I felt a genuine warmth and happiness radiating from the employees and I know that EY would be a great place to work at. Hopefully I can find a position with them one day.

P.S. Did you know the average GPA of an EY employee is 3.3? This gave me so much hope in finding a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment