Friday, March 2, 2012

Certified Public Losers


Mike Madarasz

I have three roommates, all of whom are accounting majors and are in the process of becoming Certified Public Accountants.  I have to thank these gentlemen for confirming that I chose the right degree to pursue.  I originally chose Business Administration because I thought accounting was too tedious and quite honestly, too boring.  I couldn’t see myself pouring over spreadsheets and expense reports all day every day.  Now, based on my roommates, I know I was right.  I honestly get nauseas listening to them talk about it day in and day out.  

On the other side of that, they all have jobs waiting for them after graduation while I am still trying to catch a break in that department.  They will also probably be a little better compensated for their first jobs than I will.  There definitely seems to be more job security in the field of accounting and that’s hard to argue.  This is all fine with me.  I would rather look harder now and spend some time cutting my teeth at a job I enjoy than take the security of a job that I don’t. 

The real kicker in this whole debate is the CPA exam.  I have witnessed firsthand just how miserable this test can make people.  The series of four tests requires hours of studying a day for weeks at a time and that doesn’t even guarantee a passing grade.  To put it in perspective for myself, when I think about taking the GMAT three additional times, I cringe.  It’s not something I would ever want to do and I am extremely thankful there is not a comparable test in the field of marketing. 

I’m sure my three roommates are all going to be awesome accountants but that is not a job I am jealous of.  I look forward to them doing my taxes in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment