Friday, April 13, 2012

My Wild Spring Break

Shavonna Hinton

With only a few weeks left in my first year of college, I’m realizing now more than ever how much my life is really starting to change. Maybe change isn’t the word I’m looking for but I guess it’s just that it has finally hit me that it’s time to grow up.
Usually for spring break I’d spend my days waking up late and going to bed even later, usually just wasting hours away watching TV not actually doing anything really productive. Doing schoolwork was usually out of the question until the final day of break and typically teachers were nice enough to not assign us with anything. Oh how I wish I spent my spring break like that this year. Some college students travel to Cancun or Barbados or go on some wild adventure in the Adirondacks, but I spent my break right at home.
My time at home was consisted of applying to 20-something different jobs, looking for summer internships and finding more scholarships for college. If I wasn’t doing that I was studying for a test or writing a paper. By the end of the week, I felt somewhat accomplished with what I got done. I also realized that life as I had previously known it was slipping away. Sure it may sound a bit dramatic but it’s true. If I want money for college next year I need a job, if I want to do well on my finals in a month, it’d probably be best if I started to prepare now. Professors don’t care if you stay home or travel the globe for break, if you have a paper due, that’s that. You have to find time to get it done. 
Overall I can say I enjoyed my break, I did find some time to catch up with some old friends and family but this break was definitely another one of those learning lessons that showed me “Hey, you’re not a kid anymore and you’ve got to start being an adult now.” To me being an adult is simply being responsible enough to realize that you’ve got to make decisions and actions that further benefit your life. Would I say I’m an expert on that yet? No. But I’m definitely working my way towards getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment