Friday, April 20, 2012

It's That Time of Year

Mike Madarasz

This is my fifth year in school and I can see a way too familiar time of year right around the corner.  It’s that time of year when the weather gets nice, academic motivation suffers and it becomes exponentially harder to bring yourself to be a diligent student.  It’s when you begin to see that stereotypical college scene of kids laying out and playing Frisbee on the college green.  I don’t know what it is about nice weather that makes college students “lose it”, but there is definitely an inverse relationship between temperature and academic achievement. 
I would be lying if I said I have not been guilty of this in the past.  Once the weather gets warm, I can’t help but let my mind wander to the golf course while sitting in class.  Whatever the topic in class is that day is not nearly as important as what I’m going to shoot on 18 holes later on.
After careful review and scientific analysis, I think I can partially explain this phenomenon.  First, suffering through winter comes with going to a school in upstate New York.  There are only so many weeks of good weather during each school year and students feel like they have to take advantage of them.  Also, by the time April comes around everyone is just plain tired of class.  I don’t feel I need to elaborate on this point.  Finally, everyone can taste summer right around the corner and the anticipation alone is enough to make students “lose it”.    
That being said, I have a tee time to make.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I am guilty of this too. All I do is play Kan Jam these days. And I am 20-0.

    ReplyDelete